Monday 10 August 2015

Wednesday July 15 - Monday August 10. Good and Bad.

Don't chew them.
I am still visiting Hospital twice a week as I remain transfusion dependent. Because I had been having Magnesium transfusions so frequently I have now got a prescription for Magnesium tablets. The only way I can possibly take them is with a lot of lemonade as they are awful with water and unbearable to chew. Since I've been taking these tablets twice daily, I have had a reduction in the amount of magnesium transfusions.

At the end of July it was my Dad's 50th birthday. We all spent a couple of nights in central London going out and doing tourist stuff despite being Londoners.

Over recent weeks I have been in constant contact with my University (Lincoln) in relation to completing my course. Because I originally went into hospital towards the end of April I missed my only exam, which was 40% of one module. There are lots of modules, so I basically missed a minute part of my course. Eventually after lots of back and forth and countless emails and name dropping the charity CLIC Sargent, it was agreed that if I completed a replacement assessment by a certain date, I would be able to graduate. I completed my essay and handed it in early (couple of weeks ago) and eventually after continuous pestering on my part, I have finally received official confirmation of my Degree!!! I have achieved an 'Upper 2nd Class Honours 2:1' which I am very happy with. I have also been told that I will be able to attend this September's Graduation which I'm obviously delighted with. It is by far the best news I've had for months.
Best city in the world
Today, as well as receiving my degree confirmation, I had a clinical appointment with a doctor. My blood counts are still fluctuating but my neutrophils seem to be fluctuating in an upwards direction. From lows of just under 0.2 to around 1.3 today. My blood remained 98 today same as it was last week Thursday and my platelets were 21 meaning that I required no transfusions of any kind today. However despite it being still too early for the doctors to know whether my treatment is working or not, they are leaning towards the view that it isn't. I think they expected that I would be less transfusion dependent by now. I should hopefully know for sure on September 14 when I have my 3rd bone marrow biopsy and meeting afterwards. They have begun warning me that it looks increasingly likely that I will be undergoing chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant in the near future. I am hoping that this won't happen, as I came out of Hospital as an inpatient from my ATG treatment on June 23, which is barely two months ago and too soon to know for sure.
I have every faith that if and when a bone marrow transplant is needed, Anthony Nolan will find one for me.
That handsome devil will be graduating.
On more cheerful news, over the weekend the new football season kicked off with Charlton at home to QPR. It was great to be back at The Valley to see my team resoundingly win 2-0. I don't think I'm being overly optimistic to say that it is absolutely 100% guaranteed we will be back in the premier league next season. #Banter

No comments:

Post a Comment