Saturday 16 May 2015

Monday May 11 - Friday May 15. More needles and transfusions

They put a bag straight over it:(
Currently I'm having to go hospital two or three times a week to have continuous blood tests and transfusions.

Monday I was at hospital being prodded by more needles. The amount of blood samples I've had removed are uncountable by this point. I was asked if I would allow a trainee nurse to attempt to jab me with a needle to take blood and insert a cannula (when I've been saying catheter, I've meant cannula) into me. So I agreed, as I would like to try and help when I can. I didn't make it easy for him though as he was struggling to find anywhere to jab me, as there are lots of marks on my arms from where I've had needles and he didn't want to weaken the vein walls. So attempted to go for my hand which is a bit more painful, sadly he missed the vein so I had to have to someone else come over to do it for him, she managed to find a decent place in my arm. My hand ended up swelling quite large for an hour or so which was funny.

Look at this monster!
A couple of hours after my blood samples were taken, I was given another bag of platelets. About five minutes after the platelets were hooked into me I started going really weird and having a reaction to them. I went all red and was struggling to breathe and my stomach hurt, but I didn't throw up which is good. I got unplugged from it and a load of medication was put into me to prevent reactions, which I now have to have before any unit of platelets. Not too long after, the platelets were reinserted back into me and there was no trouble. Once the platelets was finished they were unhooked from my cannula but a load of blood came up through the cannula and went all over my arm and leg, but thankfully missed my new trainers, so that's good. I was also given a new tablet to take which is basically calcium which I have to chew. It's not particularly nice.


I didn't really do anything on Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday was probably the hardest day that I've had personally since I originally became ill. This was the day that I would have been finishing university. The rest of my friends and English course were taking their final exam and posting on facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram etc about finishing university which was tough as I don't know when I'll be finishing. It's unlikely to be this year. But I am pleased for everyone and hopefully I'll be doing the same at some point.


#Brave 
I was back at hospital on Thursday for, you guessed it, more blood tests. When the blood test tubes were removed from my cannula, some excess blood pumped through again and went all over the pillow. So I got a new pillow. Win Win.
I ended up having to have a 3 and a half hour wait for another unit of platelets. I was filled up with medication before I was rigged into the unit and didn't have any reaction. You'll also be proud to know that I requested not to have a bag over the platelets because I'm so brave. I am now a man who can take his platelets without them having to be hid behind a paper bag. I'm making giant leaps.


Friday was spent lounging around before my mate Simon arrived for some strong Fifa sessions and pizza. #Lad


The next time I am at hospital will be on Monday where I am to expect a very long and serious meeting. And hopefully will finally be diagnosed with whatever it is that I have. I already know what it is likely to be. I haven't wanted to say what it may or may not be as I don't want to tempt fate. There are 3 illnesses that it may be, none of them are particularly great. Hopefully in my next post I will know for sure what it is, I do know that I will be needing a bone marrow/stem cell transplant. At the moment I am in a strange kind of limbo where it is all a bit confused.

My thoughts regarding the upcoming Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment